Ambassador Baptist Church logo

who we are

OUR history

In April, 1939 a group of concerned believers met in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Luther to consider the leading of the Holy Spirit in starting an Independent Baptist church in the city of Royal Oak, Michigan. Those attending the first meeting were: Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Luther, Mr. and Mrs. D. O. Calvin, Mr. and Mrs. Dodson Newman, Mr. and Mrs. Milton Tutor, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Gardner and Mr. Charles Newman.

After prayer the group decided that the Lord was leading them to hold services in the old Congregation Church on 13 Mile Road between Rochester Road and Main Street. The building was owned by the Women’s Club of Royal Oak and could be rented for $8.00 per Sunday. An organization council met on June 4, 1939 for the purpose of recognition for the new Church under the name of The Oak Missionary Baptist Church. The church was organized with eleven charter members. Brother D.O. Calvin was elected by unanimous vote to become the Pastor of the new church. Thomas Luther was elected the church clerk and at the meeting five presented themselves for membership.

[Not a bad start at all…Luther and Calvin as our original church leaders]

In March, 1941 a committee was formed to secure lots on Rochester Road and erect a building.

In August, 1942 the first unit of the building was completed and services were held.

Pastor Calvin led the church until October, 1956 when he resigned to form another church.

In November, 1956 the church voted to call Dr. John Hunter as pastor. He was as that time pastor of the Central Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia. Dr. Hunter accepted the call and started his ministry in the church on January 1, 1957. During Dr. Hunter’s ministry the name of the church was changed to Ambassador Baptist Church and Bible institute of Royal Oak.

Following Dr. Hunter in the pastorate was Pastor C. Edward Boone who shepherded the flock of Christ from August, 1965 until August, 1967.

It was in May, 1968 that the church called Pastor Jack Richard as the pastor. He ministered until February, 1973 when he accepted the call to another church. Under his ministry the building underwent an extensive face-lift outside and in the auditorium.

In April, 1973 the church voted to call Pastor Robert McLaughlin. He started his ministry on May 10, 1973. He came from the First Baptist Church of Oglesby, Illinois. Under the leader of Pastor McLaughlin, the church paid off its debt of $41,600, which was a result of the remodeling project of 1972. A new pastor’s office was constructed in 1991. After 25 years of service, Pastor McLaughlin resigned in December, 1998.

Pastor James Lollor came in April, 1999 and served until September, 2000. He resigned to lead a church in Indiana. During his stay the nursery and beginner departments were completely remodeled.

In November, 2000 the church voted to call Adam Taubert as pastor. In 2003 new pews were installed and the foyer was remodeled. In September, 2003 Ambassador Baptist Bible Institute held its first class. On September 9, 2004 the church sold the parsonage located on 120 Kayser in Royal Oak, which the church had purchased in October, 1967. The handicap ramp and rest room were added in 2006. In 2007 new flooring and ceiling were installed in the fellowship hall. Pastor Taubert left Ambassador in August, 2008 to become the pastor of the First Baptist church in Hoopsten, Illinois.

In June, 2009 the church called Jacob Elwart to be their pastor.

ArrowIcon BloggerIcon AimIcon DeliciousIcon PaperIcon EtsyIcon FacebookIcon FilmStripIcon FlickrIcon CameraIcon LaunchIcon GooglePlus2Icon GooglePlusIcon HeartIcon InformationIcon InstagramIcon LastfmIcon FrontCameraIcon LinkedInIcon EmailIcon MoneyIcon ItunesIcon MyspaceIcon OpenTableIcon PayPalIcon PencilIcon PersonIcon PhotoIcon PicasaIcon PinterestIcon PodcastIcon RssIcon ShoppingCartIcon SoundCloudIcon StarIcon TableProjectIcon TheCityIcon TumblrIcon Twitter2Icon TwitterIcon TypepadIcon VideoIcon VimeoIcon WordPressIcon YelpIcon YoutubeIcon